Friday, April 3, 2009

Audiences will swarm to "Bug"

I must admit something.

I committed the numero uno theatre etiquette no-no tonight upon my arrival at Towson University's Center for the Arts to see the much-anticipated Bug: I was late for the show. Only by a few minutes, due to a slow dinner waitress (*grumble*), but late nonetheless.

As I entered the theater, I heard a phone ringing from the stage, a clear indicator that, much against theatrical tradition, the show had started on time. I cursed under my breath and followed the usher up the stairs behind the seats in total darkness, trying not to miss one and consequently break my face. At the top, I was directed to an open seat. In the third row.

As I descended the center aisle of stairs, I could feel eyes from both sides watching me, scorning me for being an unnecessary distraction to the hardworking actors on the stage at floor level. As I spotted my seat, I cringed as I passed in front of everyone in the row, who were ironically enough some of my fellow theatre majors (and etiquette-followers). It's safe to say I was nothing short of mortified.

However, the actors didn't much seem to mind as they carried on with the production, which, I might add, was spectacular. Aside from a minor set malfunction, the acting was emotional and impressive, and the characters, raw and real. It's a high-energy dark comedy, much unlike the yawn-inducing Miss Julie, and its obsessive, neurotic themes (namely, a bug infestation which is possibly a schizophrenic delusion) create a multitude of tension and action-packed character interaction. Blood is spilled, hearts are broken, and there is even a hilarious scene where two of the characters waltz to Patsy Cline's "Crazy" in gas masks and lab coats.

Bug is highly enjoyable and different from much of the Mainstage work Towson produces, as Peters promised it would be. You could even say it was...infectious.

--DQ

No comments:

Post a Comment